Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

So I've been told for some time now that I should really start a blog for all my quilting and crafting projects.  Even though I really enjoy reading several blogs, I've had my feet stuck firmly in the mud about starting my own blog.

Well, this morning I woke up and decided, "What the heck, I'm gonna do it! I'm starting a blog!"  So...for my first post, here's a little bit about me and how I got started in quilting and sewing.  I hope you enjoy!

My first memories of sewing are of junior high.  I was home-schooled 7-12 grade and my mom taught me how to sew.  I'm not sure if she knew what she was getting into at the time, but thankfully it stuck with me.  In high school we took a beginners quilting class together and I fell in love with quilting!  For Christmas that year, my parents bought me my first sewing machine, a Singer and my mom and I worked on our first quilts together and later, making skirts.

During college, I moved out of my parents home and rented a great little apartment with a few friends. Quilting was put on the back burner as I rediscovered my love of writing poetry and worked hard at honing that skill.  A few years later,  I became a published author (yay!) with several of my poems being published in poetry magazines and a book.  I  was contemplating going further with my writing when my father suddenly became very ill and I dropped out of school and moved back home to help my mother and brother care for him.

It wasn't until about two years later, when I met the man that would soon become my husband, that  I began sewing and quilting again.  His mother was (and is) a wonderful quilter and I remember watching her quilting one day and missing the feeling of creating something for myself.  About a year after I was married I gave birth to my first little guy and me, my mom, mom-in-law and best friend began taking quilting classes together. Even though I don't think I've finished one of those class projects yet, I had so much fun starting them!

Now, 5 years later, after starting my own quilting business, getting my Husqvarna (oh how I love thee), moving from Alaska to Washington, having 2 boys, and leaving the corporate world behind, I am still quilting up a storm!  My mother and mother-in-law, who both live on the same block as I do, come over at least once a week to quilt, eat goodies and visit.  It's a lot of fun getting to hang out with them so often and I'm grateful we all live so close.

So...that's my story.  I will post again soon with pic's of the project I'm currently working on. Crisp white and all shades of purples and greens with a bit of pink and aqua.  Yummy!

No comments: