Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2013

A bit of Gardening

Some of the beautiful tomatoes from the garden.  I'm so pleased we've been getting as many as we have.  Last year none of our tomato plants did well at all.  They have thrived quite well this year and I have plans for many more tomato plants next year.  We gobble them up so quickly they barely make it into the house.

The next day I managed to sneak out and get a few more tomatoes all for myself.  All with some herbs I cut for drying.  Basil on the left and a few different types of mint to the right.  I'll dry the mint to use in teas during the winter months.  

I tried beets for the first time this year and was amazed at how much I love them.  Love.  Them.  They are amazing! I bought an absurd amount from the Farmers Market and roasted them in the oven with some kosher salt and a bit of coconut oil smeared on them.  They were so amazing I could not stop eating them.  Neither could Jake and the boys.  As fast as they came out of the oven they were devoured.  Seriously.  Not one little crumb of them remained by that evening.  I had hopes of preserving them for a winter treat but alas, I don't think I have any hope of getting them to last that long.

A wonderful mid day snack we've all been enjoying.  Tomatoes and basil from the garden with some mozzarella from the farmers market.  Truly delicious.  I love the bounty of summer.

No comments: