Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Purple Coins Baby Quilt

I just finished this little quilt a few days ago for a friend of mine that is due to have a baby girl any day now! Unfortunately she does not live close at all so I will have to mail it and not be able to give it to her in person.

I was very pleased with how this quilt turned out.  I used only scraps of fabric I had on hand and was even able to use fabric from my stash for the backing and binding.  It felt great to use up some of my stash and not have to buy anything for this quilt.  The nursery colors are purples and light blues so I thought this would go nicely.  That's my hubby back there holding the quilt up for me.  He's such a nice guy.  :)

I chose to cut my coin fabrics at 5" long and used varying widths of fabric according to what I had in my stash currently.  I was pleased that after finishing this quilt up, I could actually tell I had made a (small) dent in my purple scraps.  Don't you hate when you use up a bunch of scraps and it looks like for every piece you used two more appeared? 

And here's sweet hubby holding it up so I can get a picture with the backing fabric in it.  He's such a patient guy with me.  The most I've ever heard is a sigh from him.  I'm one of those "a little to the right", "no, no, I need you to hold it this way", "okay, only 10 more shots and then I think I'm done" kind of photographers.  He endures it well.


I also managed to get a few of these cute little birdies knit up for the new baby and her big sister.


I so enjoy making these guys.  They knit up really quickly and are great for using up small bits of a skein that I always seem to have lurking around.  The eyes are safety eyes so they won't come off no matter how much a child pulls on them.  I like to use these eyes over button or felt eyes just because it's so much safer.  For any knitters out there, I'm sorry but I don't know what yarn it was I used in these.  They were leftovers from another project and I no longer have the info.  The pattern however is a free pattern on ravelry from Rebecca Danger.  It's a very easy and beginner friendly knitting pattern.  It was one of the first things I attempted to knit after graduating from scarves and hats.

I sure hope they enjoy these!  Stay tuned for some more quilts tomorrow.  I have finished up several during the past month and it was finally nice enough to get them photographed.

No comments: